© Copyright Brockit.com

Below is a list of agencies, groups, institutions, centers and more that you may need to contact in response to the Houghton County Emergency. To have your information added to this list, e-mail coppercountrystrong@gmail.com


If you are in danger, call 911 immediately. 

Flood Recovery Project - Copper Country 

Beginning in October 2018, the Flood Recovery Project - Copper Country will assist residents facing long term effects from June 2018 flooding, also locally known as the Father’s Day Flood. Case Managers Marci and Dennis will be supporting households by coordinating resources and volunteers. 

Location: Huntington Bank Building in downtown Hancock, MI (formerly D&N Building) Room 402
(906) 231-6856 or email dleopold@michiganumc.org and mvivian@michiganumc.org

Hubbell Fire Department

Hubbell, Lake Linden, Tamarack City, Mason, and Dollar Bay residents are encouraged to contact the Hubbell Fire Department if you need any help with clearing out your basement, cleaning, yard work, etc. The department also has cleaning supplies, and goods at the hall, come on down and pick up what you need to get through this natural disaster. 

1200 Duncan Avenue in Hubbell
(906) 296-0214
You can also start by liking and/or messaging their Facebook Page.

Michigan Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ)

If you have questions regarding the flooding and the DEQ, a full list of who you can contact specializing in this event can be found at http://www.coppercountrystrong.com/social-post/contact-information-department-environmental-quality-deq, or by calling the DEQ's Environmental Assistance Center at 1-800-662-9278.

Michigan State Police State Emergency Operations Center (SEOC) 

Provides information on Western UP Flooding, such as News Releases, Helpful Resources including volunteer opportunities, flood safety tips, information about mold, assistance programs, insurance, and MDOT road closures

Michigan Department of Natural Resources (DNR)

  • The DNR Incident Command System Lead is Brian Mensch. Brian can be reached at 906-353-6651 or MENSCHB@michigan.gov.
  • Jeff Kakuk is the Western U.P. Trails Specialist and Trail System Erosion and Stream Crossing Assessment Lead. Jeff can be reached at 906-563-9247 or KAKUKJ@michigan.gov.

Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT)

Dan Hamlin is the MDOT U.P. State Highway Environmental Lead. Dan can be reached at 906-786-1830 or HamlinD@michigan.gov.

Western Upper Peninsula Health Department (WUPHD)

The Health Department puts out updates on drinking water, drinking water wells, septic issues and information on beach closures. You can learn more at http://www.wupdhd.org/ or by contacting Tanya Rule at 906-482-7382. 

Houghton County Road Commission

The Houghton County Road Commission will post updates on the damaged road list. You can see updates by going to http://www.houghtoncountyroads.org/news.php. Any questions can go to Assistant Engineer John Cima at 906-482-3600 or john@houghtonroads.org

Houghton County Drain Commissioner and Soil Erosion & Sedimentation Control Agent

For questions on soil erosion, sedimentation from disturbed earth areas, county drain management or legal lake levels, contact County Drain Commissioner John Pekkala at 906-482-4491 or jpekkala@houghtoncounty.net

Houghton County Building Inspector

For questions on county building codes and requirements contact County Building Inspector Todd LaRoux at 906-482-2260 or building@houghtoncounty.net

City of Houghton

All matters regarding the City of Houghton can be sent to City Manager Eric Waara at 906-482-1700 or citymanager@cityofhoughton.com

City of Hancock

All matters regarding the City of Hancock can be sent to City Manager Glenn Anderson at 906-482-1121 or manager@cityofhancock.net

Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) 

The EPA provides information on preparing for flooding, what to do during a flood, and recovery, including tips on limiting contact with flood water, drinking water and food, managing mold and debris, eliminating standing water, renovation and rebuilding, after a flood from the EPA. Learn more at https://www.epa.gov/natural-disasters/flooding

Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)

FEMA Provides information on the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), including filing a flood claim, registering for disaster assistance for losses not covered by a NFIP flood insurance policy. Learn more at https://www.fema.gov/national-flood-insurance-program

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)

The CDC provides information on flood readiness, cleanup after a flood, worker, and water safety. Learn more at https://www.cdc.gov/disasters/floods/index.html

Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS)

The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services is available for those who need medium- to long-term assistance with housing. 

  • Jim Tervo, AP Supervisor
  • 906-482-0500

Red Cross


To have your information added to this list, e-mail coppercountrystrong@gmail.com