In collaboration with the Western U.P. Health Department and Emergency Operation Centers in Baraga County, Gogebic County, Houghton County, Keweenaw County and Ontonagon County, Copper Country Strong Daily Briefs will be shared each weekday through the duration of the COVID-19 Pandemic.
Updates from Copper Country Strong
- A local group of volunteers have created a thorough set of local resources for people throughout the five counties of the Western Upper Peninsula of Michigan. See the full list of resources by visiting coppercountrystrong.com. Those without internet access are invited to call 211 to find resources they need.
Updates from Gogebic County
- National Forests Recreation Sites will be shut down immediately. There will be no bathrooms open, fires allowed or trash pick up. If you do plan on visiting or camping, stay home if your sick, take your trash with you, use the bathroom before you leave or after you return and avoid large gatherings. Learn more from the U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Services press release.
- The Office of Emergency Management has received a small shipment of face masks that are being distributed.
- The health care coalition is also distributing supplies to hospitals and long-term care facilities.
- One new positive case was reported today.
Updates from Houghton & Keweenaw Counties
- Rumor control: There are lots of rumors or "I've heard from someone who heard from their friend that..." police are stopping vehicles at random to enforce the stay-at-home order. These rumors are not true. Per the Attorney General's office, Law Enforcement may not make a traffic stop merely to inquire about compliance with Executive Order 2020-21. Or, if you are outside not maintaining social distance, law enforcement may remind you to distance yourself or to leave. Failure to comply with this request could result in a citation.
- WUPHD Issues Health Advisory, via Keweenaw Report
- Dickinson County reports second COVID-19 death, via TV6
- Discovering help: MTU aiding in search for open-source devices to fight COVID-19, via Daily Mining Gazette
- Finlandia nursing students interact remotely, via Daily Mining Gazette
- COVID-19 and rumors of random traffic stops, via Daily Mining Gazette
- Second Iron County (Wis.) COVID-19 case confirmed, via Ironwood Daily Globe
If you have an update you would like included in this daily brief, please contact the appropriate county or the health department. Contact information can be found at coppercountrystrong.com/contact.
An archive of updates can be found at coppercountrystrong.com. The community is invited to view that site and subscribe for email alerts when a new brief is posted. Links will also be shared on the Copper Country Strong Facebook and Twitter pages.