In collaboration with the Western U.P. Health Department and Emergency Operation Centers in Baraga County, Gogebic County, Houghton County, Keweenaw County and Ontonagon County, Copper Country Strong Daily Briefs will be shared each weekday through the duration of the COVID-19 Pandemic.
- During the COVID-19 crisis, UPCAP and 2-1-1 are available and ready to help. If you are vulnerable or at risk and need assistance, please dial 2-1-1. There are call specialists available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Updates from Gogebic County
- County officials are continuing to hand out Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) as it is received.
- Xcel Energy is donating face masks to the county, which should arrive later this week.
- County officials are continuing to meet via conference call with local and regional partners, as well as the state multiple times a week.
Updates from Houghton & Keweenaw Counties
- Mercy EMS has dedicated an ambulance to transport all confirmed COVID-19 patients or patients with COVID-19 symptoms to the hospital. Mercy EMS personnel are taking all personal protection measures when responding to a COVID-19 incident. Mercy EMS would like to inform the public that when calling 911, the 911 dispatcher will be screening them for COVID-19 symptoms.
Updates from Ontonagon County
- Ontonagon’s Emergency Operations Center (EOC) has delivered donated PPE of face shields and small gloves to county offices and ONTran personnel.
- Both local school districts are expanding their building's wireless to reach outside of the buildings. Further details will be provided when they are available.
Other Area-Wide Updates
- All local and Indian tribal governmental units and private non-profit organizations are reminded they are eligible for Category B, Emergency Protective Measures of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Public Assistance Grant Program. The deadline to apply for this Public Assistance Grant Program is April 30, 2020. For more information, including a list of who is eligible, download the following guide. [Public Assistance Grant Program Flyer]
If you have an update you would like included in this daily brief, please contact the appropriate county or the health department. Contact information can be found at coppercountrystrong.com/contact.
An archive of updates can be found at coppercountrystrong.com. The community is invited to view that site and subscribe for email alerts when a new brief is posted. Links will also be shared on the Copper Country Strong Facebook and Twitter pages.