In collaboration with the Western U.P. Health Department and Emergency Operation Centers in Baraga County, Gogebic County, Houghton County, Keweenaw County and Ontonagon County, Copper Country Strong Daily Briefs will be shared each weekday through the duration of the COVID-19 Pandemic.
You can receive an email alert when a new briefing is posted. Subscribe here.
Updates from Houghton & Keweenaw Counties
- Houghton and Keweenaw Counties received additional Personal Protective Equipment that was distributed to agencies throughout both counties. This shipment included surgical masks, gloves, face shields and wipes.
- The Keweenaw Family Resource Center has diapers and wipes available for families experiencing financial hardship through their Baby Closet. Any family in Baraga, Houghton, Keweenaw or Ontonagon Counties may request diapers by emailing info@KFRCkids.org. The closet has been refilled to continue to meet the needs of the community through funding by Portage Health Foundation.
UP Health System – Portage Updates
- UP Health System – Portage announced today that it has received testing supplies to perform an in-house molecular test to help diagnose patients with the novel coronavirus (COVID-19). In an effort to help address limited COVID-19 testing capacity and provide more timely results for patients, UPHS – Portage has started analyzing test results in its in-house laboratory. More information is available at portagehealth.org.
- As a patient or visitor to UPHS – Portage, or an outpatient clinic, you will be asked to wear a mask, and you will also notice that all staff members, in every department, are wearing masks, too. Universal masking is a proactive measure to significantly reduce the potential spread of illness. This, layered with screening at each point of entry for all staff members, patients and visitors, provides additional protection for everyone in our facilities.
- UPHS – Portage has a dedicated area prepared for COVID-19 patients with negative-air pressure rooms.
- Any staff member working in the COVID-19 designated unit is able to stay within the unit for their entire shift, including breaks and lunches. This prevents these staff members from having to travel throughout the facility during their shift.
- UPHS – Portage would like to remind the community not to put your health on hold during COVID-19. At UPHS – Portage, they want to stress that the hospital is still a safe place to come should you or your loved ones need care. Not only do they have safety measures in place to protect our patients from infection, but quickly taking action in an emergency will help ensure that the patient gets proper medical attention.
If you have an update you would like included in this daily brief, please contact the appropriate county or the health department. Contact information can be found at coppercountrystrong.com/contact.
An archive of updates can be found at coppercountrystrong.com. The community is invited to view that site and subscribe for email alerts when a new brief is posted. Links will also be shared on the Copper Country Strong Facebook and Twitter pages.