In collaboration with the Western U.P. Health Department and Emergency Operation Centers in Baraga County, Gogebic County, Houghton County, Keweenaw County and Ontonagon County, Copper Country Strong Daily Briefs will be shared each weekday through the duration of the COVID-19 Pandemic.
Updates from Western U.P. Health Department
- The Western U.P. Health Department (WUPHD) has released a toolkit for essential business operations that may remain open under the Governor’s Executive Order. The business toolkit includes information on screening employees for COVID-19 symptoms and the disinfecting of facilities. [Download Business Kit]
Updates from Gogebic County
- Gogebic County emergency officials are continuing to distribute PPE as they receive them.
Updates from Houghton & Keweenaw Counties
- Houghton County extended its State of Emergency Declaration today, emphasizing the importance of county residents and visitors to observe the Stay-at-home executive order. The declaration also reinforces the importance of minimizing contact with others unless absolutely necessary and the importance of social distancing, following guidelines of the Western UP Health Department and the Center for Disease Control and Prevention.
Updates from Ontonagon County
- Ontonagon Area School (OAS) is providing meals for all students and school-age kids in their community. In order to sign up for meals, families can email Deb Slye at email@example.com or call 906.813.0614 option #3. Please indicate the number of children in your household that would like meals. Breakfast and lunch will be provided for all seven days of each week. Curbside pickup is scheduled every Monday and Thursday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. through June 4.
- OAS will also provide Chromebooks and iPads for OAS students who do have access to educational activities and opportunities provided by their teachers. Students who need to sign a device out can contact their teacher or (906) 813-0614 option #3.
- Counseling services are also available from OAS. Please contact the school at (906) 813-0614 option #3 for more information.
- If OAS students have clothing items, books or materials at Ontonagon Area School that they need to retrieve, please call (906) 813-0614 option #3 to make arrangements.
- GOISD districts prepare for new normal of remote learning, via Ironwood Daily Globe
- Local veterinarian offers curbside service during COVID-19 pandemic, via Ironwood Daily Globe
- Not listening: WUPHD feels people continue to ignore shelter-in-place orders, via Daily Mining Gazette
If you have an update you would like included in this daily brief, please contact the appropriate county or the health department. Contact information can be found at coppercountrystrong.com/contact.
An archive of updates can be found at coppercountrystrong.com and then clicking Daily Briefings. The community is invited to view that site and subscribe for email alerts when a new brief is posted. Links will also be shared on the Copper Country Strong Facebook and Twitter pages.