In collaboration with the Western U.P. Health Department and Emergency Operation Centers in Baraga County, Gogebic County, Houghton County, Keweenaw County and Ontonagon County, Copper Country Strong Daily Briefs will be shared each weekday through the duration of the COVID-19 Pandemic.
You can receive an email alert when a new briefing is posted. Subscribe here.
- Governor Gretchen Whitmer on Friday signed Executive Orders 2020-114 and 2020-115 to reopen more regions and economic sectors under the MI Safe Start Plan.
Starting on June 10, Regions 6 and 8 — which include much of northern Michigan and all of the Upper Peninsula — will advance to Phase 5 of the governor’s MI Safe Start Plan. Phase 5 allows the reopening of salons, movie theaters, and gyms, subject to safety protocols and procedures designed to minimize the spread of COVID-19.
Updates from Gogebic County
- Effective June 4, the Ottawa National Forest is open for dispersed camping and is lifting the campfire ban on the Forest. Forest Service campgrounds will remain closed until further notice, including backcountry camping in Sylvania Wilderness.
Updates from Ontonagon County
- Ontonagon County Emergency Operations Center (EOC) and Michigan National Guard personnel at the Greenland Volunteer Fire Department hall has been delivering personal protective equipment (PPE) in the six-county area during the past week as PPE from the Lansing EOC arrives. The most critical shortage currently in PPE are sanitizing wipes, surgical gowns, caps and shoe coverings.
- Whitmer: More UP businesses can reopen Wednesday, via Daily Mining Gazette
- Ironwood officials hope summer season mitigates negative economic impact of COVID-19 pandemic, via TV6
- Ironwood Planning Commission recommends outdoor seating, via Daily Globe
- City of Houghton allowing restaurants and bars to extend service onto city property on a case by case basis, via TV6
- Collaborative effort puts WiFi hotspots around Copper Country, hopes to spread across Upper Peninsula, via CBS 3
- Stormy Kromer donates portion of proceeds from mask sales, via TV6
If you have an update you would like included in this daily brief, please contact the appropriate county or the health department. Contact information can be found at coppercountrystrong.com/contact.
An archive of updates can be found at coppercountrystrong.com. The community is invited to view that site and subscribe for email alerts when a new brief is posted. Links will also be shared on the Copper Country Strong Facebook and Twitter pages.