In collaboration with the Western U.P. Health Department and Emergency Operation Centers in Baraga County, Gogebic County, Houghton County, Keweenaw County and Ontonagon County, Copper Country Strong Daily Briefs will be shared each weekday through the duration of the COVID-19 Pandemic.
You can receive an email alert when a new briefing is posted. Subscribe here.
- The Michigan State Police confirmed with the state’s Attorney General Office that the relaxed rules announced yesterday do not allow for the opening of campgrounds. As of now, campgrounds remain closed through May 28.
Updates from Houghton & Keweenaw Counties
- Houghton and Keweenaw counties received 500 gowns, 8000 surgical masks, and 5,000 KN95 and N95 masks today from the state. They are being distributed locally to health care providers.
Updates from Ontonagon County
- The National Guard continues making daily deliveries of Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) throughout the Western U.P., Monday Gogebic County, Tuesday Ontonagon County and today Baraga & Iron Counties. PPE is from federal and state resources funneled through the Region 8 Health Care Coalition to the Regional Distribution Hub in Greenland, MI. PPE being delivered this week includes surgical masks, latex gloves, face shields, surgical gowns, N-95 masks, disinfectant wipes and hand sanitizer. Aspirus Ontonagon Hospital received PPE this week.
- Any agency with PPE needs is asked to email Mike Kocher at email@example.com. Those looking to make donations of PPE can find a list of needs and coordinate a donation by filling out the web form on the Volunteer/Donate page of CopperCountryStrong.com.
- Governor announces partial reopening, via Daily Mining Gazette
- Whitmer: Retail businesses in northern Michigan can reopen Friday, via Daily Globe
- Coronavirus has spared the Keweenaw Peninsula but may kill summer tourism, via Bridge Magazine
- Western Upper Peninsula Begins Contact Tracing For Latest Positive Case, via Keweenaw Report