In collaboration with the Western U.P. Health Department and Emergency Operation Centers in Baraga County, Gogebic County, Houghton County, Keweenaw County and Ontonagon County, Copper Country Strong Daily Briefs will be shared each weekday through the duration of the COVID-19 Pandemic.
You can receive an email alert when a new briefing is posted. Subscribe here.
- A new, online dashboard launched today that visually illustrates COVID-19 risks and trends in Michigan, providing residents with important information about the pandemic status where they live and work. See the dashboard at https://www.mistartmap.info.
Updates from Western U.P. Health Department
- There are three new cases in Houghton County today, including one new out-of-state case.
- Update from May 26: The Western Upper Peninsula Health Department (WUPHD) is investigating two unrelated new positive COVID-19 cases in Houghton County. The first person recently traveled from another state to visit family. Local testing reports will list this case as a non-Michigan positive while they recover in the area. The second person recently returned home after wintering in another state. WUPHD is currently conducting case investigations and will inform any close contacts about exposure risk.
“The ability of people to travel more and to gather in groups of 10 or less as we re-open brings an increased risk of exposure,” said Kate Beer, Health Officer at WUPHD. “We must continue to take safe steps to reduce the risk of getting or spreading COVID-19.”
Tips for Safer Gatherings
- Keep it small. A gathering should be under 10 people.
- Meet outside.
- Stay at least six feet apart.
- Wash or sanitize hands often.
- Wear masks if possible.
- Do not share food, drinks, or other items. Have everyone bring their own snacks or serve food with single-use serving utensils.
- Houghton County Has Two New COVID-19 Cases, via Keweenaw Report
- WUPHD releases details on new COVID-19 case in Houghton County, out-of-state case, via TV6
- Two new positive COVID-19 cases in Houghton County, via Daily Mining Gazette
- Houghton & Keweenaw County Emergency Operation Center delivers Personal Protective Equipment to organizations in need, via TV6
- Reopening the Keweenaw safely, via Daily Mining Gazette
- New interactive map shows which restaurants in the Keweenaw are open during the pandemic, via CBS 3
If you have an update you would like included in this daily brief, please contact the appropriate county or the health department. Contact information can be found at coppercountrystrong.com/contact.
An archive of updates can be found at coppercountrystrong.com. The community is invited to view that site and subscribe for email alerts when a new brief is posted. Links will also be shared on the Copper Country Strong Facebook and Twitter pages.